Community Councils

Making a Complaint

If you have a complaint about any aspect of a community council, then your first action should be to contact the community council directly to raise your concern/s and ask for them to be addressed.

Should you remain dissatisfied with the outcome you can then raise the issue with your local Ward Manager who can provide support and guidance. However, it is important to be aware that community councils are independent bodies not controlled by The Highland Council.

What can you complain about?

You can complain about things such as:

  • The behaviour of office bearers
  • Your treatment by, or attitude of, a community councillor when dealing with a community council issue
  • Breaches of the scheme for the establishment of community councils
  • Financial irregularities and fraud
  • Breaching of confidentiality
  • Misuse of community council social media, email, or letters for the purpose of personal or financial gain

Guidance for Community Councils