Community Council elections
Scheme for the Establishment of Community Councils
Community Councils are voluntary organisations that express the views and concerns of local people within their area. These can be across a wide range of issues from new buildings and roads, to local services and facilities.
The Elections Office is responsible for running the Community Council elections and Members are elected every four years to represent their Community council area. If there are less candidates than seats, then no election will be held. If membership of the community council falls to less than half, then the Community Council shall not operate until there are enough members. The maximum membership of each of the 154 Highland Community Councils is determined by the population it serves and varies from 7 to 13 members.
The last Community Council election was held in November 2019 and so therefore the next round of elections is not scheduled until 2023.
Interim Elections to be held in 2022
Interim elections may be held for Community Councils when the membership falls to below the minimum membership. Timetables are now published below to fill any vacancies that do occur within that timeframe.
- Thursday 3 March 2022
(notice of election to be published on Monday 10 January 2022)
- Thursday 29 September 2022
(notice of election to be published on Monday 8 August 2022)
Notice of Interim Elections for 3 March 2022 Timetable
The resignation of some members have now brought the community council’s listed below down to below HALF of their memberships, and so therefore prompted interim elections to fill the vacancies for the following Community Council's:-
- Acharacle Community Council
- Cawdor and West Nairnshire Community Council
- Duror and Kentallen Community Council
- Fortrose and Rosemarkie Community Council
- Kinlochbervie Community Council
- Kinlochleven Communtiy Council * second attempt
- Marybank, Scatwell and Strathconon Community Council * second attempt
- Nairn West and Suburban Community Council
- Nethybridge Community Council
- Shieldaig Community Council
- Slackbuie Community Council
- Smithton Community
- Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council
- Staffin Community Council
- Strathdearn Community Council
Below is the notice of Election and Nomination Form to be completed for Candidates wishing to serve on the Community Council.
- Notice of Election
- Guidance Notes for Candidates
- Nomination Paper
- Notice of Withdrawal
- Election Timetable
The earliest date for submitting nomination papers to the relevant Ward Manager is Tuesday, 11 January 2022 and must be received no later than 12noon on Tuesday 1 February 2022
Questions or advice
If you have any questions about the election process please contact the Elections Team
Tel: 01349 886657