Local Government by-elections
The Highland Council is divided into 21 Wards and elections are administered, centrally, through the Election Office.
A By Election can occur due to a vacancy caused by the death or resignation of an elected representative. It can take place during any of the standard Election cycles, and is subject to the timetable for normal elections. The votes casted in a by-election are counted manually.
Ward 5 - Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh By-Election
Following the resignation of Councillor Kate Stephen in Ward 5 (Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh), a by-election was held on Thursday 6 December 2018.
Voting was by the single transferable vote and Alexander MacInnes (Scottish National Party) emerged as the winner at the 8 stage of the count.
The turnout was 40.65 per cent, there were 3985 figure valid papers and 39 figure rejected papers.
The Candidates were:
- Gavin Berkenheger - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Christopher Birt - Scottish Labour Party
- Irene Frances Brandt - Scottish Green Party
- Harry Christian - Scottish Libertarian Party
- Jean Davis - Independent
- Les Durance - UKIP Scotland
- Richard Greene - Independent
- Alexander MacInnes - Scottish National Party (SNP)
- George Scott - Scottish Liberal Democrats
Candidates election expenses
Candidates election expenses returns. These can also be inspected at the Highland Archive Centre, Bught Road, Inverness
If you have any queries please contact the Election Office.