Local Government by-elections
The Highland Council By-election - Election of Councillor
A Local Government by-election will be held on Thursday 12 August 2021 to fill a vacancy that has arisen in Wards 3 and 13 for Councillor Nicola Sinclair, one of 4 Councillors representing the Wick and East Caithness Ward and Councillor Graham Ross, one of 3 members of the Inverness West Ward.
Following the deadline for nominations at 4pm on Friday 9 July 2021, the notice of poll and further information is now available below:
The candidates for Ward 3 - Wick and East Caithness are:
- CAMERON, Michael James - Scottish National Party (SNP)
- CHRISTIAN, Harry - Scottish Libertarian Party
- FERNIE, Bill - Independent
- ROSS, Daniel - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- TILT, Jill - Scottish Liberal Democrats
The candidates for Ward 13 - Inverness West are:
- AITKEN, Colin - Scottish Liberal Democrats
- BANNERMAN, Max - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- FORSYTH, Iain Cullens - Independence for Scotland Party
- LIPTROT, Calum Mark - Scottish Libertarian Party
- MACKINTOSH, Ryan - Scottish Green Party
- MACLEAN, Kate - Scottish National Party (SNP)
- MCDONALD, Duncan - Independent
Candidates and Agents are invited to participate in the online briefing session via Microsoft Teams on Tuesday 20 July 2021 at 10.00am. This session will provide further infromation about the poll, the count and an opportunity to clarify any issues that candidates and agents may have.
Please notify if you wish to participate in the briefing session by emailing email@example.com and you will be sent a meeting request.
Below are the key information and statutory notices relating to the forthcoming by-election:
- Notice of Poll and Statement of Persons Nominated
- Notice of Election Agents
- Notice of Situation of Polling Places
- Council's Policy on the display of posters
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to vote
To vote in this by-election, eligible residents must be registered to vote by midnight on Monday 26 July 2021.
Voting will take place between 7.00am and 10.00pm.
For more information about how to register and the different ways of voting in the election, please go to our How to Vote page.
Applications must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Moray House, 16-18 Bank Street, INVERNESS, IV1 1QY.
Anyone who is registered to vote can also arrange to have a Postal or Proxy vote. For more information about how to register and the different ways of voting in the election, please go to our How to Vote page.
And to ensure you don't miss out on your preferred way of making your vote count, please check out the list of deadlines below.
For more advice on postal or proxy voting please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 393 783.
- Monday 26 July 2021 (midnight) - Registration deadline
- Tuesday 27 July 2021 (5.00pm) - Deadline for new postal vote applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes
- Wednesday 4 August 2021 (5.00pm) - Deadline for new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies)
- Friday 6 August 2021 - First date that electors can apply for replacements for lost postal votes
- Thursday 12 August 2021 (7.00am - 10.00pm) - Polling Day
- Thursday 12 August 2021 (5.00pm) - Last time for re-issue of spoilt and lost postal votes
- Thursday 12 August 2021 (5.00pm) - Deadline for emergency proxy applications
- Thursday 12 August 2021 (9.00pm) - Last time to alter the Register due to clerical error or court appeal
- Friday 13 August 2021 (10.00am) - Count for both Wards (Inverness Leisure Centre)
Further information is available here on What Voters need to know prior to Polling Day (including safety measures).
Notice of election and nomination pack
- Notice of election
- Nomination pack
- By-election timetable
- Request for Copy of Register and Absent Votes List
- Policy - Display of election posters
- Pre-election guidance for Council staff
- Pre-election guidance for Elected Members
Further information for prospective Candidates
- Factsheet on voting in Local Government elections
- Becoming a Councillor - How the Council works
- Councillors information
- Access to Politics - Inclusion Scotland
- Informative workshops - Elect Her (elect-her.org.uk)
- Toolkit to promote young people's political engagement (youthlinkscotland.org)