Local Government by-elections
The Highland Council is divided into 21 Wards and elections are administered, centrally, through the Election Office.
A By Election can occur due to a vacancy caused by the death or resignation of an elected representative. It can take place during any of the standard Election cycles, and is subject to the timetable for normal elections. The votes casted in a by-election are counted manually.
Ward 5 - Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh By-Election
Following the resignation of Councillor Kate Stephen, a by-election will be held on Thursday 6 December 2018 to elect a councillor to serve Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh (Ward 5).
Following the deadline for nominations at 4pm on Friday 2 November 2018, the list of candidates standing for election to become a councillor at the Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh By-election has now been published below.
- Gavin Berkenheger - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Christopher Birt - Scottish Labour Party
- Irene Frances Brandt - Scottish Green Party
- Harry Christian - Scottish Libertarian Party
- Jean Davis - Independent
- Les Durance - UKIP Scotland
- Richard Greene - Independent
- Alexander MacInnes - Scottish National Party (SNP)
- George Scott - Scottish Liberal Democrats
Candidates and Agents are invited to attend a briefing session on Wednesday 7 November 2018 at 4.00pm in the Committee Room, The Highland Council, Council Offices, Dingwall, IV15 9QN. This session will provide further information about the poll, the count and an opportunity to clarify any issues that candidates and agents may have.
Below are the information and notices relating to the forthcoming by-election.
- Notice of Poll and Statement of Persons Nominated
- Notice of Election Agents
- Notice of Situation of Polling Places
- Council's Policy on the display of Posters
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
How to vote
To vote in this by-election, eligible residents must be registered to vote by midnight on Wednesday 21 November 2018.
Voting will take place between 7.00am and 10.00pm in Wester Ross, Strathpeffer and Lochalsh (Ward 5).
Applications must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Robertson House, Greenhill Street, Dingwall, IV15 9QR.
Anyone who is registered to vote can also arrange to have a Postal or Proxy vote. For more information about how to register and the different ways of voting in the election please go to our How to Vote page.
And to ensure you don't miss out on your preferred way of making your vote count, please check out the list of deadlines below.
For more advice on postal or proxy voting please email email@example.com or call 0800 393 783.
- Registration deadline
Wednesday 21 November 2018 (Midnight)
- Deadline for new postal vote applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes
Tuesday 20 November 2018 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies)
Tuesday 27 November 2018 (5.00pm)
- First date that electors can apply for replacements for lost postal votes
Thursday 29 November 2018
- Polling Day
Thursday 6 December 2018 (7.00am – 10.00pm)
- Last time for re-issue of spoilt and lost postal votes
Thursday 6 December 2018 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for emergency proxy applications
Thursday 6 December 2018 (5.00pm)
- Last time to alter the Register due to clerical error or court appeal
Thursday 6 December 2018 (9.00pm)
- Count (Fairburn Memorial Hall, Marybank)
Friday 7 December 2018 (10.00am)
If you have any queries please contact the Election Office.