Community Council elections
Scheme for the Establishment of Community Councils
Community Councils are voluntary organisations that express the views and concerns of local people within their area across a wide range of issues from new buildings and roads to local services and facilities.
The Elections Office is responsible for running the Community Council elections and Members are elected every four years to represent their Community council area. If there are less candidates than seats, then no election will be held. If membership of the community council falls to less than half, then the Community Council shall not operate until there are enough members.
The maximum membership of each of the 154 Highland Community Councils is determined by the population it serves and varies from 7 to 13 members. For more information on the roles and responsibilities of a community councillor, please see our Community Council page.
The last Community Council election was held in November 2015 and the next election is to be held in November 2019. Interim elections may be held for Community Councils when the membership falls to below the minimum membership.
The resignation of some members have brought the above community council’s down to below half of their memberships, and so therefore prompted interim elections to fill the vacancies.
Nominations are invited for persons seeking elections to:-
- Balintore and Hilton Community Council
- Conon Bridge Community Council
- Dunvegan Community Council
- Saltburn and Westwood Community Council
- Spean Bridge, Roy Bridge and Achnacarry Community Council
- Sunart Community Council
- Tain Community Council
*Nominations are also invited from persons seeking election to re-establish Staffin Community Council and fill the 8 vacancies.
The deadline for receiving all nominations is 4.00 pm on Wednesday, 3 October 2018. More information and a copy of the nomination paper can be obtained here.
Interim elections - Thursday 28 June 2018
Following the close of Nominations on Wednesday 30 May 2018, the outcome was as follows.
7 Community Councils attracted more than half the maximum membership, allowing them to form
- Cawdor and West Nairnshire Community Council
- Castletown Community Council
- Grantown on Spey Community Council
- Hilton, Milton & Castle Heather Community
- Laggan Community Council
- Muir of Ord Community Council
- Strathpeffer Community Council
* Dunvegan Community Council and and Staffin Community Council did not establish as they failed to attract half the maximum membership
Interim elections - Thursday 18 March 2018
Following the close of Nominations on Wednesday 7 February 2018, the outcome was as follows.
5 Community Councils attracted more than half the maximum membership, allowing them to form and statements of persons nominated for each council can be viewed below and a ballot was conducted for Dunnet and Canisbay Community Council.
- Applecross Community Council
- Acharacle Community Council
- Holm Community Council
- Smithton and Culloden Community Council
- Waternish Community Council
* Laggan Community Council and Staffin Community Council did not establish as they both failed to attract half the maximum membership
Interim Elections - Thursday, 14 September 2017