Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial Behaviour Orders (ASBO)

We can apply to take out an Antisocial Behaviour Order (ASBO) against anyone over the age of 16 who is responsible for serious or persistent antisocial behaviour.

Housing Associations can apply to take out an ASBO if it is to do with antisocial behaviour and their housing.

An ASBO will restrain a person from behaving in an antisocial way or from engaging in antisocial conduct (including speech) which is likely to cause alarm or distress. Anyone who breaches the conditions set out in an ASBO will face criminal prosecution and possibly prison.

ASBOs are not meant to be used to address behaviour that is merely different or behaviour that is the result of a mental disorder, nor are they aimed at disputes between neighbours over, for example, boundaries.

To apply for an ASBO, the Council or Housing Association will need to go to Court to get an Order and prove the nuisance.

We will only apply for an ASBO if we think this is the best way of protecting people from serious or persistent antisocial behaviour and other solutions have been tried and failed.