Household Waste Recycling Centres
Visiting Household Waste Recycling Centres
Journeys to Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC) are for the disposal of essential waste only. HWRC may close at short notices due to staff shortages connected to Coronovirus. Please check this page and Highland Council Facebook page for updates.
Currently all HWRC are open
Journeys to a HWRC must only be undertaken if your waste cannot be stored at home safely.
Currently the only waste being accepted is:
- General household waste – To cut down on time spent at the site, please bring waste in bags
- Bulky household items – such as sofas, mattresses, rolls of carpet and garden tools. Please note: Soil, rubble, plasterboard, kitchen units, bathroom suites, doors and similar waste from DIY activities will continue to be excluded from sites at the present time.
- Garden waste in bags only – to cut down on time spent at the site, please bring garden waste in bags and empty the contents into the containers.
- Cardboard - To cut down on time spent on site, please flatten all cardboard before arriving.
- Small electrical items
- Large electrical items
- Scrap metal (accepted at some sites, please check individual site details)
- Wood - (accepted at some sites, please check individual site details) such as furniture and garden fencing. Excluding construction timber, agricultural fencing and doors
- Light Bulbs including energy efficient bulbs and fluorescent tubes
- Household Batteries
Online booking system for vans (under 3.5 tonnes maximum gross weight) and/or trailers
Vans (under 3.5 tonnes) and/or trailers are allowed into all recycling centres with permitted household items.
An online booking system for vans and trailers is in place at the following sites:
- Fort William
To book a slot visit the individual HWRC page by clicking the button below.
Please read the Frequently Asked Questions before visiting a recycling centre.
Please check your local recycling centre opening times and other information using the link below.
For more information please read the latest press release.
Please do not put waste you may have taken to a recycling centre in your household bins as it may overwhelm the collection services. Please avoid carrying out large DIY or gardening projects unless you have the space to store the waste. We would encourage residents to home compost where possible.
Regular updates will be provided through our social media channels.