Short term lets licensing
Further information and guidance
What is a short-term let?
A short-term let is defined in the legislation as the use of residential accommodation provided by a host during business to a guest, where all of the following criteria are met:
- The guest does not use the accommodation as their only or principal home.
- The short-term let is entered into for commercial consideration.
- The guest is not
- an immediate family member of the host.
- sharing the accommodation with the host for the principal purpose of advancing the guests education as part of an arrangement made or approved by a school, college or further higher education instituation.
- an owner or part owner of the accommodation.
- The accommodation is not provided for the principal purpose of facilitating the provision of work or services by the guest to the host or to another member of the hosts household.
- The accommodation is not excluded accommodation.
- The short-term let does not constitute an excluded tenancy.
Further details can be obtained on the gov.scot Guidance for hosts and operators page.
What are the types you can apply for?
- Home sharing - means using all or part of your own home for short-term lets while you are there.
- Home letting - means using all or part of your own home for short-term lets while you are absent.
- Secondary letting - means a short-term let involving the letting of property where you do not normally live.
- Home letting and home sharing - means you operate short-term lets from your own home. this is both while you are living there, but also for when you are absent.
- Short term lets - Frequently Asked Questions
- Fire safety
- Fire safety risk assessment: forms and guidance - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)
- Fire and smoke alarms in Scottish homes
- The Furniture and Furnishings Regulations 1988
- Landlord gas responsibilities
- Electrical installations and appliances - Portable Appliance Testing
- Legionella and landlords' responsibilities
- Legionella Risk Assessment Template - Short Term Lets
- Building regulations
- Repairing standard
- Submit a development enquiry
- Short term lets contacts
- Guidance on EPC requirements and EPC introduction
- Food premises registration
- Short term lets - Private Water Supply Briefing Note
- Private Water Supply Questionnaire