Voter IDs for future UK General Elections

Valid photo ID you can use

There is a new rule that requires voters to show photo ID when they vote at polling stations. This only applies to UK General Elections. You will not need photo ID for Scottish Parliament elections or local council elections. 

Voter ID


Most people already have a form of photo ID. We don’t want you to be left out when it comes to voting in the next UK General Election. Please check if your photo ID is acceptable or you can apply for free voter ID.

Valid photo IDs

You may already have a form of photo ID that can be used for voting in the next UK General Election. Acceptable documents include:

Passport issued by 

  • UK
  • any Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man
  • a British Overseas Territory
  • EEA state
  • Commonwealth country (including an Irish Passport Card)

Driving licence (including provisional licence) issued by

  • UK
  • any of the Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man
  • EEA state
  • Blue badge
  • National Entitlement Card (concessionary bus pass)
  • Identity card with PASS mark for example Young Scot Card
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (defence identity card)

You can see the full list of accepted forms of photo ID on the Electoral Commission's website. You can still use some photo ID even if they are out-of-date, as long as the photo still looks like you. 

You can get more information on the Electoral Commission's voter ID webpage or call the Highland Election Helpline on 01349 886657.

Information in other formats

You can get voter ID requirement information in other formats from the Electoral Commission including

  • audio
  • Braille
  • BSL
  • easy read
  • plain text.

How to get free Voter ID

If you do not have an accepted photo ID, you can apply online for free Voter ID known as a Voter Authority Certificate. 

You can also apply for this by post if you live in the UK. ​After you have filled in the form, please send it to the Electoral Registration Office at

Highland and Western Isles VJB
Moray House
16-18 Bank Street

Showing ID as an anonymous elector

If you have registered to vote anonymously and want to vote in person, you will need to apply for an Anonymous Elector's Document. Find out more about registering to vote anonymously and how to vote anonymously

Quick guide to voting videos

Quick guide to voting: Which elections require photo ID in Scotland?

Quick guide to voting: Which forms of photo ID can you use to vote in Scotland?

Quick guide to voting: Applying for free voter ID

Quick guide to voting: Checking your photo ID at the polling station

British Sign Language Videos

Registering to vote


Which elections require photo ID, and which forms of ID can I use to vote?


How to apply for free voter ID, if you need it