Local Government by-elections
The Highland Council is divided into 21 Wards and elections are administered, centrally, through the Election Office.
A By Election can occur due to a vacancy caused by the death or resignation of an elected representative. It can take place during any of the standard Election cycles, and is subject to the timetable for normal elections. The votes casted in a by-election are counted manually.
Ward 11 – Caol and Mallaig By-election Thursday 5 April 2018
Following the death of Councillor Billy MacLachlan, a by-election will be held on Thursday 5 April 2018 to elect a councillor to serve Caol and Mallaig (Ward 11).
Following the deadline for nominations at 4.00pm on Thursday 1 March 2018, the list of candidates standing for election to become a councillor at the Caol and Mallaig By-election has now been published below.
- Ronald Joseph Campbell - Independent
- Alex MacInnes - Scottish National Party (SNP)
- Catherine Margaret Mackinnon - Independent
- Denis Rixson - Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Ian Smith - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Colin ‘Woody’ Wood - Independent
Candidates and Agents are invited to attend a briefing session on Thursday 15 March 2018 at 12.30pm in the North Committee Room, Lochaber House, Fort William. This session will provide further information about the poll, the count and an opportunity to clarify any issues that candidates and agents may have.
How to vote
To vote in this by-election, eligible residents must be registered to vote by midnight on Friday 16 March 2018.
Voting will take place between 7.00am and 10.00pm in Caol and Mallaig (Ward 11).
For more information about how to register and the different ways of voting in the election please go to our Registering to Vote page.
Applications must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at Moray House, 16-18 Bank Street, Inverness, IV1 1QY.
Anyone who is registered to vote can also arrange to have a Postal or Proxy vote. For more information about how to register and the different ways of voting in the election please go to our Registering to Vote page.
And to ensure you don't miss out on your preferred way of making your vote count, please check out the list of deadlines below.
For more advice on postal or proxy voting please email email@example.com or call 0800 393 783.
- Registration deadline
Friday 16 March 2018 (midnight)
- Deadline for new postal vote applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes
Monday 19 March 2018 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies)
Monday 26 March 2018 (5.00pm)
- First date that electors can apply for replacements for lost postal votes
Wednesday 28 March 2018
- Polling Day
Thursday 5 April 2018 (7.00am – 10.00pm)
- Last time for re-issue of spoilt and lost postal votes
Thursday 5 April 2018 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for emergency proxy applications
Thursday 5 April 2018 (5.00pm)
- Last time to alter the Register due to clerical error or court appeal
Thursday 5 April 2018 (9.00pm)
- Count (Bun-Sgoil Ghàidhlig Loch Abar, Caol PH33 7JE)
Friday 6 April 2018 (10.30am)