Local Government by-elections
Ward 12 - Aird and Loch Ness By-Election
WARD12 - AIRD AND LOCH NESS BY-ELECTION
CORONAVIRUS ACT 2020 ELECTION OF COUNCILLOR
Thursday 11 March 2021
A vacancy has arisen in the Aird and Loch Ness Ward following the death of Councillor George Cruickshank. This is a multi-member ward, the remaining Councilor's are Margaret Davidson (independent), Helen Carmichael (independent) and Emma Knox (SNP).
The polling date previously fixed has changed. The Returning Officer has determined that polling should take place on Thursday 11 March 2021.
Under normal circumstances a by-election must be held within three months of the vacancy arising, however the Returning Officer has made her determination in reliance on Section 70 of the Coronavirus Act 2020 which allows an election to be fixed to take place on a date beyond the deadline fixed by section 37 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, and to be postponed once fixed Before making her determination, the Returning Officer consulted the convener of the Electoral Management Board for Scotland, the Scottish Ministers and the Electoral Commission
The Returning Officer has the power to substitute a fresh date or dates for polling to take place up to but not after 6 May 2021. She will keep her determination under review in light of developing and changing circumstances and will publish a further notice in the event that the polling date is to be changed.
Following the deadline for nominations at 4.00pm on Monday 8 February 2021, the list of candidates standing for election to become a councillor at the Aird and Loch Ness By-election is as follows :
- BERKENHEGER, Gavin - Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- FRASER, David - Independent
- MACKINTOSH, Ryan - Scottish Green Party
- MOORE, Bill - Scottish Labour Party
- ROBERTSON, Martin - Scottish Liberal Democrats
- SHANKS, Gordon - Scottish National Party (SNP)
Notice of poll, election agents and situation of polling stations
- Notice of Poll and Statement of Persons Nominated
- Notice of Election Agents
- Notice of Situation of Polling Places
Financial assistance for disabled people
The Access to Elected Office Fund offers financial assistance to disabled people running in the 2021 Scottish Parliamentary election and in any by-elections for Local Authority and Scottish Parliament seats. The fund is delivered by Inclusion Scotland and supported by the Scottish Government.
Find out more see Access to Elected Office Fund.
Information for Voters
You will have received a poll card if you are registered to vote in this ward, this will tell you where you should go to vote. Your poll card is just for information; you do not need it to vote but it is helpful if you take it with you when you to the polling station and you should take it with you back home once you voted.
Voting will take place between 7.00am and 10.00pm in the Aird and Loch Ness (Ward 12).
If you have applied to vote by post then you should receive you postal vote pack around Thursday 4 March 2021. The video clip posted below and frequently asked questions will help assist you with completing your pack.
- Registration deadline - Tuesday 23 February 2021 (Midnight)
- Deadline for new postal vote applications and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes - Wednesday 24 February 2021 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies) - Wednesday 3 March 2021 (5.00pm)
- First date that electors can apply for replacements for lost postal votes - Friday 5 March 2021
- Polling Day - Thursday 11 March 2021 (7.00am - 10.00pm)
- Last time for re-issue of spoilt and lost postal votes - Thursday 11 March 2021 (5.00pm)
- Deadline for emergency proxy applications - Thursday 11 March 2021 (5.00pm)
- Last time to alter the Register due to clerical error or court appeal - Thursday 11 March 2021 (9.00pm)
- Count (Inverness Leisure Centre) - Friday 12 March 2021 (2.00pm)