Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
EV Infrastructure Vision
EV Infrastructure Vision
As part of a wider Strategic Control Plan (SCP), The Highland Council has published a vision for electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure. The vision is set out below (v1.2).
Factoring in the unique challenges of the region, we will deliver Highland solutions for Highland challenges. Our ambition is to create Scotland’s greenest transport system across its largest area.
We will spearhead the development of a regional electric vehicle (EV) network, further supporting our climate change commitments and accelerating the transition to low carbon transport for The Highland Council and its communities.
We want to be a leading authority to help bridge low carbon connectivity for, and to, our city and rural communities. We will do this by adhering to the following –
- As the gateway to rural and island communities we will ensure equality of access to EV charging infrastructure
- Support economic recovery through investment in local EV infrastructure
- Enabling integrated transport initiatives for all by expanding provision for local residents, tourists and visitors
- Wherever feasible, maximise our use of natural resources to deliver sustainable, locally generated solutions
- Consider emerging technologies to ensure appropriate solutions are appraised as the sector and market evolves
- Support climate change targets through the electrification of The Highland Council fleet
- Attract external investment to progress our vision
The vision supports government ambitions by delivering/supporting projects and initiatives that contribute positively towards current targets:
- Scottish Government: to phase out the need for new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030
- UK Government: to end the sale of new petrol and diesel cars (excluding some hybrids) from 2030
The Strategic Control Plan (SCP) is in development and seeks to accelerate delivery by improving the early planning/management of projects. The SCP was developed by officers from the Climate Change & Energy Team and the Transformation Team.
- Examples of completed works
- Energy Efficient Scotland: Area Based Scheme
- External wall Insulation case studies
- Renewables case study
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Environmental Health Food Business Advice
- Pre-Packed Foods Labelling Advice
- Growing Our Future - A Food Growing Strategy for Highland
- Planning guidance
- Committee paper - item 11
- EV Infrastructure Vision
- Caol and Lochyside FPS Community Liaison
- 2021 Highland Climate Change Conference Downloads