Bus pass and travel discounts
How to apply for a card
If you are aged between 16 and 18 years, over 60, or have a disability, you could be eligible for free or discounted travel to get around Scotland.
The National Entitlement Card and Young Scot National Entitlement Card gives free or discounted access to most types of public transport.
- Due to budget savings, we have withdrawn most of our concessionary fares on trains. As a result, half-fare train tickets are no longer available for most concessionary card holders. However, visually impaired people and those entitled to a discount for a companion when travelling due to a disability will continue to be eligible for half fare travel on train journeys within Highland and free travel on buses throughout Scotland. You can also contact us on 01349 886604 or email our customer services team.
- Young people receive a third off the single adult bus fare, a railcard valid throughout Scotland allowing a discount of up to a third on train travel, and 2 return ferry vouchers to the mainland for island residents
- Free travel is available to Highland residents on ferry journeys within Highland and at half fare on the Craignure to Oban service. Concessions are for passenger fares only
- Companion entitlement - if you need a companion to help you use public transport your National Entitlement Card will allow them to travel for free too
- Travellers with a visual impairment can get Scottish National Blind Scheme concessions. The card gives you free rail and free or discounted ferry travel
When you complete your application, you will need:
- a recent passport type photograph
- proof of age or disability
- proof of your current address
Due to the current COVID-19 situation our Service Points are closed to the public. We are currently only accepting new applications by post at the below address or by emailing Customer Services.
Check the full details of the eligibility criteria and documents you need to show for the different types of card with Transport Scotland.
Application forms are available by contacting the Service Centre on 01349 886604 or by emailing customer services.
Please be advised at the moment our phone line is only open from Tuesday to Thursday between the hours of 9am and 3pm.