View and comment on planning applications
We are taking steps to allow us to continue to deliver our services for the duration of the COVID-19 situation. Details of our full position.
We are no longer operating under business as usual in order to focus on priority and statutory services. The Highland Council is planning for greatly increased staff absence levels over the coming days and weeks. Staff will be working remotely, so capacity and access to our usual systems will be significantly limited. It may therefore take longer to process planning applications, building warrants, and related aspects of the Planning and Building Standards service including customer queries, complaints and public comments during this period. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.
Comments about applications
Only comments which raise material planning considerations will be taken into account. However, other representations we receive (that are not necessarily material planning considerations) are also likely to be made public on our Public Access site. Online comments will form part of the overall representations made and be collated with normal letters of representation (comment, objection or support) for a planning application or development. Comments you submit about applications will be published online along with your name and address. Signatures and other personal information such as telephone numbers will be blacked out. Comments are only available for 3 months from the decision date. When an application has been withdrawn no associated documents are visible.
There are restrictions in place. The use of inappropriate words and phrases are not allowed. Salacious, malicious and defamatory comments are not allowed. Any comments which are considered to defamatory or to be inappropriate will be redacted. The online comment facility is for your use, to increase your input into the planning process. Please do not abuse it.
What you can comment on
Material planning considerations are matters the Council must take into account when deciding planning applications. In order for your comments to be taken into account, they must be made for legitimate planning reasons. We have provided some examples below. Please note, these are not exhaustive lists.
Examples of material planning considerations are:
- siting, design and materials
- parking provision and access
- residential amenity (overshadowing, noise)
- drainage and infrastructure
- impact on existing trees, proposed landscaping
Examples of non-material considerations are:
- private legal issues between neighbours e.g. land/boundary disputes, damage to property or private rights of access
- ownership of land
- loss of a view
- loss in the value of your property
- covered by other regulations (e.g. building regulations)
More information can be found on the Planning Aid Scotland website.
Commenting on applications in the Cairngorms National Park Area
Comments will be accepted until the neighbour notification period has expired on an application. All comments will then be forwarded to the Cairngorms National Park. After an application's neighbour notification period has expired please send your comments to email@example.com
Anyone can use the site to view planning applications but to save searches and track applications, you must create a user account.
Highland ePlanning provides a variety of methods to allow you to find the information you are looking for:
- Basic search - search for applications, appeals or enforcements according to some entered text. Associated documents are available from the documents tab. When an application has been withdrawn no associated documents are visible.
- Advanced search - search according to a wide combination of factors
- Map search - search using an interactive map tool
- Property search - search for a particular property to which applications may apply
We also publish the following weekly lists of planning applications:
- Planning applications 20 November 2020
- Delegated decisions 13 November 2020
- Screening and Scoping applications 24 November 2020
- Proposal of application notices
Timeout and comment limit
There is a 10 minute timeout on pages. If this time passes and you are still typing, any information you then submit will be lost. If you have a lot of information to be typed, we advise using something like Microsoft Word to compose your statement, and then copying this in to the text box on the website. Comments submitted are also limited to 5000 characters, and you cannot add file attachments.
If your comment exceeds the 5000 character limit or you need to add an attachment, please email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it in writing to eProcessing Centre, Headquarters, Glenurquhart Road, IV3 5NX.
Give us feedback
If you have any technical difficulties when using our ePlanning Site, please use this form to tell us about it.
It will help us resolve the problem if you include:
- Screenshots of the issue (desirable) – Paste into a word document and attach to the online complaints form as they help us to resolve issues more quickly
- A description of what you were trying to do on our site when the issue occurred (essential)
- Date and time the issue occurred (essential)