Planning permission

Requests for variations to planning applications

There is a fee for this service. Our fees are reviewed annually - to find out the fee for this service please visit our Fees and charges for all other Planning and Environment Services. Please quote the reference PLV when making a payment for a request for variation.

Use our Request for Variation form below to describe minor changes after a planning decision has been made. Send this along with any amended drawings as per our process below for submitting additional information on the ePlanning Portal

This process should not be used to apply to vary or remove conditions attached to an existing planning permission. To do this, please make an application for Planning Permission under Section 42 using the Portal. 

Non-material variations to previously approved schemes

If your proposed changes will not significantly change the scheme that was originally granted planning permission, you may be able to submit a 'Non-Material Variation'.

This can only come from the person granted the permission, or someone acting with their consent (this includes successors in title to the land in question).

We use the following criteria to assess the variation. The varied scheme:

  • Must still comply with the policies of the Development Plan
  • Does not require Listed Building or Conservation Area consent
  • Does not involve a material change of use requiring planning permission
  • Does not require the deletion or alteration of conditions imposed upon the original scheme
  • Does not require the imposition of additional planning conditions in order to make it acceptable
  • Does not require further neighbour notification
  • Does not conflict with a change to the originally approved scheme, or conditions imposed upon the originally approved scheme which were required to mitigate a material impact identified through third party representations made on the original proposal
  • Does not involve an alteration, alternative house design, redesign or addition to individual house plots that were previously approved as part of a larger collective housing development permission

Applications can be made using the Request for Variation form and following the ‘Submitting additional information’ guidance on our Planning Permission page. There is a charge for this service but payments for this service cannot be submitted on the portal and must be made separately. 

See our payment options

How is this webpage?