Living in temporary accommodation


Normally you have to pay rent and you are responsible for paying your Council Tax, electricity and gas. If you are unemployed or on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to cover the cost of your temporary housing.

Housing Online

Register to access online services, you can:

  • view rent account balance
  • pay your rent
  • see payments you have made
  • see Housing Benefits
  • see Universal Credit Housing payments
  • and setup a paperless direct debit

Sign up today

Please also see our policy on rent collection and arrears management in temporary homeless accommodation.

Rent collection and arrears management policy


We may be able to help you store your furniture if you have any. There is likely to be a charge for this. If you need help with getting furniture and other household items, we can help with that.


We have no specific legal duties towards pets. We may allow pets into some types of temporary accommodation but don’t allow pets into bed and breakfast accommodation. If you are homeless and you are unable to take your pets into your temporary accommodation, you should try to get friends or family to look after them for you or use a kennel or cattery.