Your council tenancy

Being a tenant

As a council tenant, you will have signed a lease for your home. This lease forms a contract between us (as your landlord) and you (as the tenant) and sets out the terms and conditions of your tenancy.

If you want to know more about either your or our rights and responsibilities, check the details of your lease.

If you have any questions contact us, your local Citizens Advice Bureau, Advice Agency or a solicitor.

Change of circumstances

You should tell us of any changes in your household, such as a new baby, a new partner or a change in your job status. You can also request for someone to become a joint tenant, or take someone’s name off your tenancy.

Change in circumstances form

Getting our permission

You must request our permission to take on a lodger, make alterations to your home etc. Please read the rest of these pages to find out more.

If you are refused permission, you can appeal in writing to the Housing Manager for your area, contact us for their details.

You also have the right to appeal to the Courts. If you wish to do this, please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for advice.