Your council tenancy

Sub-letting your home

You can rent the whole house to another person for a period of time – for instance, if you are going to be working abroad for a few months or serving a prison sentence. You retain the tenancy of the property and responsibility for it and you will have a home to go to when you return.

If you want to sub-let your home, you should contact us. We will want to know details of who you intend to sub-let to, and the rent to be charged. You must get our written permission before you can go ahead - see the link below for the form. Also:

  • you must have been the tenant of the house throughout the 12 months immediately before you apply for written permission to sublet your home or
  • if you were not the tenant throughout the whole of that period, the house must have been your only or principal home during those 12 months; and the tenant must have told us that you were living there prior to the start of those 12 months.
  • As the tenant you will still be responsible for maintaining the property in good condition and for paying the rent.
  • Permission to sub-let will not usually be withheld unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Request permission to sub-let