Your council tenancy

Swapping homes with another tenant

A mutual exchange is where two tenants swap their properties. If you find another tenant to swap with, you must get permission from both landlords before you move. If you move without permission you could lose your home. When you apply we will give you a decision in 28 days from the date we receive your request.

A mutual exchange can offer several benefits including:

  • It may be much quicker than waiting for a housing transfer
  • You can arrange multiple swaps where a chain of tenants swap properties to find their perfect home
  • Swaps can take place between Council tenants, Housing Association tenants, and tenants of other councils

Highland House Exchange is a website for social rented tenants who are looking to swap homes. When you register with them you will be asked for some details about your home and the type of home you are looking for. You can search their website to find someone to swap homes with.

Mutual exchange form

If you transfer or exchange houses your right to buy entitlement may change.