Fort William 2040 (FW2040)
Delivery Programme - current projects
The Delivery Programme below outlines the progress currently being made with individual projects from the Masterplan, and their key next steps, as reported regularly to the FW2040 Project Board. It is grouped according to themes. Where possible, it also directs people to further online information about specific projects. Not all projects have dedicated individual websites at this time. This is dependent on their current status and level of progression. Please note we are are not responsible for the content of external websites.
The Delivery Programme also includes Aspirational Projects and ideas that have been suggested through the FW2040 consultation process to date. Projects are included within the Masterplan when they demonstrate a similar level of feasibility and collective commitment as the projects already included.
Projects making Fort William 'A Great Place to Live'
- Caol Lochyside Flood Protection Scheme
- Community uses - land reserved for community use on Blar Mhor development
- First phase housing - 117 housing units on Blar Mhor
- High School expansion - extension to Lochaber High School facilities
- Housing units- Lundavra/ upper Achintore- circa 350 Units
- Indoor multi-purpose facility
- Local energy networks
- New hospital
- Primary Schools - extension to Fort William Primary Schools Capacities
- Re-development of Belford Hospital site - future development opportunity
- Second phase housing - up to 133 Housing Units, Blar Mhor
- Smelter site expansion
- STEM centre
- Town centre waterfront - enhancement of marine access, shoreline development and promenade
- Upper Achintore community facility
Projects making Fort William 'A Place Facing Water'
- Thomas Telford Corpach Marina - 45 Berth Marina
- Cruise ship reception facilities
Projects making Fort William 'A Connected Place'
- Bike carriage by rail - local use of rail coaches that can accommodate bikes
- Fort William Active Travel Audit
- Nevis Forest Mountain Resort - additional visitor accommodation
- Nevis Forest Mountain Resort - additional recreational facilities
- Road Improvements: STAG / STPR2
- Helicopter landing site
View a full list of the FW2040 projects
- Development briefs and framework plans - Inverness
- Inner Moray Firth Local Development Plan
- Developer Contributions
- Development Plans Newsletter
- Town Centre Action Plans for Tain, Nairn and Fort William
- West Highland and Islands Local Development Plan
- Active Travel Masterplans
- Fort William 2040 (FW2040)
- FW2040 Consultation Event Report Nov 2022
- Local Place Plans Information Sheet