Council house repairs

Tenants Right to Repair Scheme

We must complete certain repairs within the emergency or high priority response times.

These include:

  • Total or partial loss of electrical power or unsafe sockets or electrical fittings
  • Total or partial loss of gas supply
  • Insecure window, door or lock
  • Unsafe access path or step
  • Total or partial loss of heating or hot water where there is no other form of heating
  • Total or partial loss of water supply
  • Blocked sink, bath or basin
  • Blocked or leaking toilet (or not flushing) where there is no second toilet
  • Leaking water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
  • Blocked flue to open fire or heat
  • Unsafe flooring, stair, banister or handrail
  • Broken mechanical extractor fan where there is no window in the room

If we do not do so within the correct time, you have the right to ask us to have the work done by another contractor.

You may also be able to claim compensation of £15 for the inconvenience caused which can rise to a maximum compensation payment of £100 for any one repair.

More details are contained in the Right to Repair leaflet. You can also see a list of approved contractors for housing repairs.